The Institute for Peace and Security Studies (IPSS) is an African institution with the mission to promote peace and security in Ethiopia and Africa through education, research and professional development. The Institute produces skilled professionals in conflict prevention, management and resolution as well as in peace building, and promotes the values of a democratic and peaceful society.
IPSS is seeking a highly organized and motivated individual to fill the position of Communications Coordinator to assist with the organization of the Institute’s events through the implementation of an overall communications strategy on a full time basis.
Core tasks and responsibilities
Under the guidance and supervision of the Advisor for Communication and Research, the Communications Coordinator will:
• Write and edit content for the IPSS and Tana websites and ensure all posts adhere to the highest linguistic standards;
• Write and edit various documents and publications e.g. policy briefs, concept notes, annual reports;
• Develop and manage a robust communications and social media strategy;
• Lead the production of print products such as brochures and publications;
• Ensure the website is always up to date and consistent with other digital platforms;
• Liaise with the Policy Dialogues Unit to provide communications coverage for events and meetings;
• Write and compile information for bi-monthly digital newsletters;
• Perform quality control to ensure consistency in the design of publications and online materials;
• Organize and maintain folders on the shared drive;
• Manage communications staff in the delivery of the tasks listed above;
• Support the other IPSS units with additional tasks as needed.
Qualifications and experience
• Minimum Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or international relations/social sciences from an English language university;
• Minimum 6 years’ experience in social media and website management, writing and editing content for internal and external communications;
• Minimum 3 year experience in managing a communications team (including developing and implementing activity plans);
• Experience in the management of social media and website strategies;
• Fluency in French and graphic design experience is an added advantage.
Competencies and skills
• Excellent command of written English at native or near-native level;
• Keen eye for spotting errors, inconsistencies and typos in documents and graphic works;
• Good knowledge of the African development landscape;
• Highly organized and capable of operating with minimal supervision;
• Self-motivated, adaptable and flexible.
How to apply:
How to Apply
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.