Closing date: 07 Sep 2019
General Description of the Role
Under the supervision of the Assistant Country Director- Programme and in collaboration with other sectors leads in horizontal and vertical relationships, the Technical Advisor is primarily responsible to work and represent GOAL in the Somali region, lead the technical implementation of ECHO and USAID/OFDA emergency projects in collaboration with senior managers and coordinators at head office and Somali region field offices. He/she will assume ultimate responsibility for quality and timely implementation ECHO funded multisectoral drought emergency response while providing technical support to the ongoing OFDA project in Dolo zone. The position will also be responsible for national staff capacity building and improving internal ways of working. The person will be a focal person for advising compliance requirements of ECHO, OFDA and other donor requirements in the region.
The Technical Advisor will oversee the overall coordination and implementation of the ECHO, OFDA and other funding sources of multi-sectoral projects in the region in close coordination and collaboration with regional programme managers which requires considerable coordination and facilitation at Jigjiga/Somali level in terms of quality, cluster representation, logistics & procurement, budget management, technical assistance, MEAL, and donor interfacing/liaising.
The incumbent of this position represents GOAL Values and Behaviours in interactions with staff and external audiences. These values and principles include commitment to the mission of GOAL Ethiopia orientation, quality management and leadership development, introducing systems and procedures to strengthen staff motivation and productivity. The selected employee will be responsible for providing technical support to the field staffs for the implementation of integrated projects in Somali region. Training, mentoring and coaching of local staff for effective implementation of program and ensure program performance and implementation in line with the planned budget, humanitarian and national standard.
Self-Development and others; Working effectively with others
- Carry out orientations and staff training’s for award management procedures, donor requirements for GOAL Ethiopia.
- Build relationships with local government and other INGO’s and UN’s
- Provide regular project and situation updates to HO and regional governments on a key progress, challenges and escalation of potential risk as required.
- Ensure performance objectives are developed, agreed and key awards management KPI are internalised and considered in the performance objectives and reviewed as per the GOAL Ethiopia HR policies for the direct reporting team.
- Ensures effective start up, implementation, monitoring, reporting and evaluation of integrated activities in the region and Establishes an effective mechanism to measure outcome and impact of the integrated activities in the region inline with GOAL programme quality standards and MEAL plan
- Provide support and guidance to the project team and implementing partners as required.
- Coordinate and participate in different multi-sector assessments and coordination platform as required in collaboration with other implementing partners.
- Ensures quality of program implementation by conducting regular field visits and providing necessary technical support.
- Closely work with the finance team and the project managers in the region and HO to ensure that program budgets are realistic, that they are efficiently used complying with donor requirements.
- In collaboration with the MEAL Team at the country office level monitor the projects in systematic way using appropriate tool and ensure that all field reports are submitted on time and compiled.
- Ensure that all interim and final project reports are submitted in a timely manner to members and donors and work with the field team to incorporate all the comments given by members and donors for final submission.
- In collaboration with the field managers ensure timely preparation and implementation of phase-out strategy.
- Engages in recruitment process of staff at field level as necessary.
- Support the field team in procurement process.
- Performs other related tasks given by line manager.
Representation, Communicating with Impact, Negotiation and Coordination
- Represents GOAL Ethiopia in cluster and consortium meetings hosted by ECHO and another partner
- Play a vital and key role in all communications with ECHO and members and follow all communication out comes and propose appropriate action points
- Documents findings and recommendations of field visits for follow-up actions; shares as appropriate
- Documents lessons learned in specific technical areas for wider dissemination and use
- Coordination with other partners and implementers at the field level
- Sharing minutes of the coordination meeting and disseminate these to the field project managers and all relevant parties
- Responsible for the processes for donor reporting to ensure that reports are high quality, delivered on time and supported by auditable records.
- Lead Award Kick off meetings to ensure that all award information is shared effectively with relevant staff, including field offices and partners
- Lead Close out process and work with members to ensure awards are closed out on time
- Coordinate with auditors as necessary
- Lead the technical coordination and implementation of ECHO and OFDA Humanitarian response projects
- Ensure that GOAL’s interventions are implemented to a high quality and effectively coordinated and managed with appropriate levels of technical support,
- Advise on the recruitment of the project teams to maximise the efficiency, effectiveness and impact of our interventions with the budget available
- Strengthen all areas of GOAL’s response by providing management support and mentoring to the field-based project managers
- Ensure high quality program implementation at scale that impacts positively on the lives of children and other vulnerable groups and that meets with GOAL’s Standard Operating Standards, SPHERE standards and our commitments to donors and the Government of Ethiopia.
- Conduct regular visits to field implementation sites in affected areas to update program analysis.
- Work closely with logistics to follow up and ensure the procurement done at HO level is initiated and processed timely. Facilitate the coordination between the field teams and the HO logistics & finance team
Reporting and MEAL
- Ensure that effective M&E and accountability mechanisms are in place and that relevant information, statistics and analysis are provided in a timely way for donor reports, situation reports, project proposals, case studies and communications.
- Contribute to the development and documentation of best practices and their dissemination to a variety of internal and external audiences.
- Coordinate the data input and co-responsible for report writing for all narrative and program data reporting requirements, ensure with the HO and HQ teams that the data is clean, segregated where needed and timely compiled. Ensure partners deliver timely and all have joint and consistent indicators.
- Make sure budget tracking codes are prepared as per the reporting requirement of donor and shared for key relevant actors timely.
- Coordinate and make sure monthly award review meeting are conducted and key action points are captured and actioned.
- Co-ordinate and ensure supportive field monitoring plan are prepared for the project
- Strong financial skills including budget development, realignment and monitoring of compliance adherence across ECHO awards portfolio.
Compliance (systems, processes, donor)
- Clear understanding of GOAL processes and key donor requirements specially EC and ECHO, and support teams across Somali projects to ensure all opportunities, proposals, contracts and amendments follow GOAL processes and donor requirements.
- Ensure EC/ECHO appropriate donor formats are available in-country and staff have a clear understanding of donor requirements/expectations throughout the award cycle.
- Ensure potential issues and amendment requests are flagged promptly to the HO.
- Familiarise self, understand and implement, according to area of responsibility, GOAL’s policies and procedures on mainstreaming of Gender, HIV/AIDS and Child Protectio
- Familiarise self and understand to GOAL Donor Compliance issues, specifically to the terms and conditions of the Donor the Programme is working on and comply with same in area of responsibility.
- While conducting training’s, making sure the training report and the signed attendees list is formally addressed to the Grant Unit for a central donor file.
- Accountability & responsiveness within areas of responsibilities.
- BSc/MSc. in public health/ Nutrition, Development or other related field of studies
- Minimum five years of field experience emergency response, recovery, resilience and other related context, including experience in managing integrated programme of nutrition, health and WASH
- Experience managing ECHO, OFDA and other institutional donors’ projects.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills in English.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and experience in multicultural teams.
- Willingness to work flexibly and professionally in a dynamic and fast-moving environment.
- Ability to work in a challenging work environment with minimal direct supervision.
- Proven track record of in-country award portfolio management and knowledge of major donors’ compliance requirements especially on ECHO.
- Demonstrated ability for leadership and independent decision making
- Cultural and gender sensitivity
- Experience of staff management, supervision and capacity building in Grant Management.
- Problem solving skills to identify and lead the resolution of issues.
- Cultural awareness and ability to build relationships quickly with a wide variety of people.
- Patient, flexible, able to improvise and communicate clearly and effectively under pressure.
- Excellent planning, management and coordination skills, with the ability to organize a workload comprised of varying and changing tasks and responsibilities.
- Significant experience with NGOs in an international environment and pastoralist region, particularly in Ethiopia or in the region
- Experience on managerial and advisory role
How to apply: