Closing date: 19 Dec 2019
About the organization: Founded in 2008, Result for Development (R4D) has grown rapidly during its first decade, with a diverse set of programs in global health, education, and nutrition and funders that include bilateral donors, multi-lateral development institutions, and private foundations. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. The organization has offices in Washington, DC in the United States (140 staff), Ethiopia, Tanzania, and the UK. Outside of the U.S., we employ 21 staff in ten countries.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D and we want to keep it that way. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative, and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.
Market Shaping Practice Summary: R4D’s Market Shaping practice area has deep experience in catalyzing increased access to and improved appropriate use of essential products, towards helping people lead healthier, more productive lives. The Market Shaping practice achieves this by leveraging four technical approaches – market analysis, strategy development, catalytic implementation and evidence generation – at a systems level, to holistically and sustainably optimize and transform markets. More specifically, we align priorities and incentives of policymakers, procurers, financiers, and manufacturers at the global- and country-levels, to develop and catalyze implementation of evidence-backed solutions for underserved markets at scale. Using practical and business-driven approaches, from increasing market transparency around sizes of various segments, improving demand forecasting, developing purchasing and value chain strategies, to crafting cost-effectiveness and financing gap analyses, our work ensures that the market operates with improved efficiency, and that utilization of life-saving products is also increased. Previously designed market-shaping solutions by R4D have the potential to achieve over a billion dollars in savings and availability of high-quality products in health, (including for HIV/AIDS, malaria, childhood pneumonia, maternal health, and neglected diseases) as well as for nutrition, education and sanitation.
R4D is seeking a highly motived and dynamic Market Shaping Analyst to provide technical support to the Market Shaping practice. As a Market Shaping Analyst, you will help to conduct high-quality research and analysis for new and ongoing projects to support efforts towards identifying holistic barriers in a market, generating evidence, and designing creative solutions to address identified barriers. Potential projects you may help to contribute to include: a Market Shaping Capacity Improvement Project where R4D is working in partnership with the Ethiopia Pharmaceutical Supply Agency (EPSA) to support its Quantification and Market Shaping Directorate (QMSD) in playing a lead market manager role; programs to increase access to childhood pneumonia treatment in high-burden countries; analyzing the procurement and financing landscape for maternal, newborn, and child health commodities towards increased access of these lifesaving products; and diagnosing and addressing market challenges to the scale up of treatment for severe acute malnutrition. As part of all this work, you will help to manage new and existing stakeholder relationships at both the country and global levels across the public and private sectors, and effectively communicate our approach and impact.
A successful Market Shaping Analyst will be highly-motivated; a creative problem solver; have strong analytical, communication, and collaboration skills; and have a commitment to excellence and producing results. We are a team that is resourceful, responsible, tenacious, high-energy, and always has a positive attitude. We hope you that you value these personality traits as much as we do!
This position is based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and will report to a Market Shaping Senior Specialist or a designated senior team member.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative research and analysis in support of the application of market shaping approaches development and its implementation
- Contribute on country office work plan development and follows implementation plan and timeliness
- Help to develop analytic and written deliverables that synthesize information effectively and communicate key findings and policy recommendations from research and analyses to internal and external audiences
- Execute on project work plans and activities in a high-quality and timely manner
- Support business development efforts (in collaboration with market shaping team members and across R4D teams) to mobilize resources to finance new opportunities
- Engage with a wide range of domestic and international stakeholders
- Assist in the development of knowledge management and communication strategies to promote the dissemination and uptake of our work
- Bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy, public health, supply chain, marketing, economics, or other related field of study
- Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience, or a masters degree in a related field of study plus 1 year of relevant work experience
- Demonstrated track record of analyzing quantitative and qualitative data, and developing analytical products
- Ability to think and solve problems in a structured and logical manner
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders in multicultural environments
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including demonstrated ability to develop short presentations and written reports
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team, and deliver high-quality results within fast-paced, dynamic environment
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally, per project need
- Fluency in Amharic and English are required
- Knowledge of other local language is an advantage
- Open to Ethiopian nationals only.
No telephone or email inquiries please.
How to apply:
Please click here to apply.