Closing date: 21 Oct 2019
Value for Money Expert/Economist for Mid-Term Performance Evaluations.
The Mitchell Group, Inc. (TMG), a US-based international development firm is currently partnering with USAID/Ethiopia and the Government of Ethiopia/Federal Ministry of Health (GOE/FMOH) in implementing the USAID/Ethiopia-funded Transform: MELA activity. One of the key tasks of the Transform-MELA Activity is to conduct Mid-Term Performance Evaluations of Transform portfolio of activities: Transform: Primary Health Care (Transform: PHC), Transform Health in Developing Regions (Transform: HDR), and Transform Water, Sanitation and Health (Transform: WASH) in Ethiopia.
USAID/Ethiopia recognizes that midterm performance evaluations of Transform activities is necessary for adaptive management and mid-course corrections which increase the likelihood of the activity meeting its objectives and contributing to the larger EPCMD goals. USAID/Ethiopia has therefore commissioned Transform: MELA to conduct mid-term performance evaluations of the three Transform implementing mechanisms of the Transform portfolio of activities noted above.
TMG requires Value for Money Expert/Economist to be part of the evaluation team provide technical support to Transform: MELA in the conduct Mid-Term Performance Evaluations of Transform Implementing Mechanisms. Value for money analysis assesses whether the program has bought inputs of the right quality and price (economy), how well inputs are converted into outputs (efficiency), what effects the outputs are having (effectiveness), and how much effect the project has had relative to the cost of the inputs (cost-effectiveness).
Place of Performance: Remotely (Outside of Ethiopia) with some travel to and Addis Ababa.
Key responsibilities: **
● S/he will support the evaluation team in providing concrete evidence on value for money. The consultant will focus primarily on providing value for money assessment for three identified approaches and interventions for the GAPP activity.
● S/he will contribute to the design of relevant tools, collect data, prepare and participate in the writing the report. S/he will take a lead role on the team to conduct a value for money assessment covering the six identified activity approaches, and interventions (two from each of the three Transform implementing mechanisms).
The Value for Money Expert/Economist will take full responsibility for managing the teams, organizing its work, and ensuring quality control and delivery of a final report acceptable to USAID standards. The Value for Money Expert/Economist will participate in the Team Planning Meeting and other preparation meetings as well as providing leadership in finalizing evaluation instruments and tool, conducting interviews, providing leadership in report writing and presentations. The Value for Money Expert/Economist support all the three (3) Transform Activity evaluations. The Transform activities include: Transform: PHC, Transform: HDR & Transform: WASH.
Period of Performance:**
The assignment will be accomplished during the period starting October 21, 2019 – December 31, 2019.
Level of Effort:** 15 work days
Qualifications and Experience:**
The Value for Money Expert/Economist will possess the following qualifications and experience:
· Master’s degree in Health Economics, Economics, Finance, Public Policy or related disciplines from a recognized university.
· Minimum 10 years of working experience in undertaking cost-benefit/effective/utility analysis and/or value for money studies with international development projects;
· Previous experience of providing management advisory services on value for money at international organizations or development agencies.
· At least 8 years of proven experience with the design and application of diverse VfM approaches is required.
· Previous involvement with and knowledge of donors including USAID or other bilateral agencies that use VfM assessments is an advantage.
· Institutional Relationship and Reporting
· Consultants will be answerable to Transform: MELA COP/DCOP for all deliverables
· USAID/Transform: MELA will review and approve all deliverables produced by the consultant for this performance evaluation
· S/he will have demonstrated experience in designing, conducting and managing evaluations and/or managing public health programs.
· The candidate will have strong analytical and report writing skills.
· S/he must have experience leading large-scale studies.
· A sound knowledge and understanding of USAID programming approaches and methodologies will be an added advantage.
Responsibilities and Deliverables:**
1. Pre-Field Work Briefing
· Participate in the Team Planning Meeting and other preparation meetings as well as in selection of appropriate data collection methodologies, sampling and creation of corresponding interview instruments;
· Review documents as part of literature review and prepare a summary report of the literature review;
2. Field Work
· Advice on the required data to be collected and ensuring the quality of the data being collected;
· The Value for Money Expert will take leadership in drafting the section on VfM of the Activity evaluation report and presentation.
3. Post-Field Work Review
· Take leadership in the briefings/oral presentations and reviews which serve as a checkpoint on the completeness of the mid-term evaluation team’s data and analysis on the evaluation questions on efficiency and effectiveness and on the clarity of the flow of the team’s presentation of its findings, conclusions and recommendations.
4. Draft Report(s)
· Take leadership in drafting the VfM section of the evaluation report, preparing in accordance with USAID’s “How to Prepare and Evaluation Report guidance”.
· Debrief the wider audience that include, USAID team, implementing partner (s), FMOH, and any other interested stakeholder.
5. Final Report(s)
· Contribute to the finalization of the report by incorporating USAID and stakeholder comments, and submit the report to TMG/Transform: MELA electronically.
· Submit all the quantitative and qualitative data sets obtained as a result of the evaluation to TMG/Transform: MELA including all documents, slides, etc.
How to apply:
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send relevant CV/resume to [email protected] In the subject line, please indicate “**Value for Money Expert/Economist** – Ethiopia”. CV/resumes will be reviewed as they are received, early application is encouraged. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.